• August 25Please be sure to frequently check your email for important announcements!

Staff Profile – Mr. Ryan, Extended Day Education Director

• What is your current role at Trinity, and how does it differ from what you have done in the past?

This year I was asked to lead the after-school program. We re-branded it and now I serve as the Director of Extended Day Education. 

• Now that we are halfway through this school year, what changes to the Extended Day Education Program do you feel are the most noticeable/effective?

We have added a lot more structure to the Extended Day Program. Students know that their homework is their first priority and that they are expected to complete it first. We also have an amazing staff of counselors, some new and some returning, who bring so much creativity, diversity, and skill to our program. 

• What do you think makes Trinity such a special place for the students, families, and community as a whole?

Trinity can truly be a home away from home. While all schools teach the required content, Trinity also emphasizes who you are becoming as a young human being. After working with students who have gone all the way through our program, from EC to 8th grade, it’s quite obvious that grace, humility, and a zest for learning have been engrained into who they are becoming. Additionally, after working with many different teachers and staff members, I can honestly say that we care about our students as if they were a part of our own family. There isn’t a person here who would hesitate to give more of themselves if it meant a student would benefit from it. 

• Is there a memory of something that happened here at Trinity that sticks out in your mind more than any others?

Too many to write about! The first few that come to mind are storybook parades where I got to look ridiculous with all of my students and teacher friends; four years of canoeing down the beautiful Hillsborough River with Second Grade; the lasting bonds that I have made with so many students; every last day of school I have had with my classes when it suddenly hits me that these little people have grown and learned so much in such a short amount of time!

• When you were the age of some of the students you work with, did you ever think you would be doing what you do now?

NEVER!!

If you told my mother when I was little that I would grow up to become a teacher, she’d probably have fainted! It wasn’t until college that I discovered my passion for teaching after taking a class with a lady named Professor Silverman. 

• If you were given a month’s vacation and unlimited money to spend, what would you do?

I find it very important to lead a balanced life. Have fun, work hard, and give back. With that said, I’d spend the first two weeks traveling with my wife and dog. I would take them to a few different cities we have been wanting to visit. Montreal, San Diego, and London, would be stops for sure. I would spend the next week working on developing an app for teachers to utilize their time more efficiently (I’ve learned that this is quite expensive, so the money would help here)! Finally, I’d spend the last week visiting a country or town that is less fortunate than we are. I’d teach in the local school and help out any way I could. 

• What is one thing about you that no one would ever know or guess?

I’m usually a pretty open book, so this is tough. Many of my students know that I rode a unicycle in a show troop when I was young. We performed at Epcot in the summer of 1996. Also, I’m a big advocate for left-handers. I believe we think and learn differently and that it is important for people to think about this if they work with or are raising a true lefty!

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Staff Profile – Mr. Ryan, Extended Day Education Director”

1. Christine Hanna on January 11th, 2017 3:23 PM

Talking with Mr. Ryan at pickup is truly a bright spot in my day! He is a TOTAL GOOFBALL and I love it!!! Thank you Mr. Ryan for all you do for our children.

[Reply]

2. Desiree L Diaz on January 11th, 2017 3:40 PM

I’m curious now about the whole left handed thing now. My son Devin is left handed and definitely learns things a lot differently is there any books or articles you can suggest to help me understand his way of learning and interpreting things. Especially with reading and writing

Thanks
    Desiree

[Reply]

Mr. Ryan Reply:

Hi Desiree,

If you google, “How to raise a lefty,” there are tons of great articles that will give you insight into your lefty! There are also some fun books on Amazon that you might enjoy.

Best,

Mr. Ryan

[Reply]

3. Megan Civil on January 11th, 2017 7:23 PM

Mr. Ryan! What a wonderful spotlight story! Can’t decide if it’s the brilliant photography that captures your spirit, the unique questions, or your ‘perfectly Ryan’ answers that we like best!

[Reply]

4. Felix J Menendez on January 12th, 2017 10:27 AM

Such a great teacher. Despite a crippling inability to process sarcasm (LOL), Mr. Ryan has been a tremendous asset to Trinity and to my son. I hope you have many more years of success and thanks for all the time you put in to help make our school great.

[Reply]

• Staff Profile – Mr. Ryan, Extended Day Education Director

News

Intro To Auto: Car Model Building

News

Ms. Mallory’s Class Study On Native American Tribes

News

Escape Room: Classroom Edition

News

Volleyball And Bowling In PE!

News

An Imagination Playground for Trinity

News

Learning About Energy In Mr. Matt’s Fourth Grade

News

Hands On Geography In Second Grade

News

Our New Music Classroom!

News

Cave Paintings In Ms. Saran’s Class

News

Watercolor and Calligraphy Club